Month: February 2017
by Harley Nott
Four old (and famous) London pubs.
Pubs (short for “public houses”) are a British institution, there are over 7,000 of them in London. Here are details of four of the oldest and most famous.
Ye Ode Mitre
Built in 1546 for the servants of the Bishops of Ely, The Ye Olde Mitre is famous for having a cherry tree, (now supporting the front) that Queen Elizabeth I once danced around. Set in a part of London steeped in history, it’s near where William Wallace was hung, drawn and quartered at Smithfield, along with martyrs and traitors who were also killed nearby. More details and here.
The Lamb and Flag
When the building now known as The Lamb and Flag was built, in the mid-17th Century, Covent Garden was a relatively new urban area – a smart and desirable address. But a century later, the gentry had moved away and the area had become a red-light district. Records from 1772 show that The Lamb and Flag – or Coopers Arms as it was known then – was trading successfully, but the clientele was drawn from the lower levels of society.
A century later, and the venue was a popular location for unlicensed bare-knuckle fights. Great London pubs don’t get more historic than this! More details.
The Prospect of Whitby
The Prospect Of Whitby in Wapping is London’s oldest riverside pub dating back to 1520. The pub has an illustrious history. Regular visitors included the writers Charles Dickens, Samuel Pepys and Samuel Johnson – and the venue was known for its bare-knuckle and cock fights. It’s thought the pub’s strange name derives from the fact that a collier – a ship carrying coal – from Whitby in North Yorkshire used to moor regularly beside the pub. More details.
The pub’s name – The Flask – comes from the tradition of selling flasks from the pub, which were then used to collect water from the springs around Highgate and nearby Hampstead heath. A natural spring to the rear of the pub may also have been used for this purpose.
Every good historic pub should have a haunting or two, and The Flask is no exception. You might run into the ghost of a Spanish barmaid who hanged herself in the pub’s cellar (now a seating area), over an unrequited love for the publican. Look out also for a chap in Cavalier uniform occasionally seen crossing the room in the main bar and vanishing into a pillar. And while he doesn’t haunt the pub (as far as we know) Dick Turpin is reputed to have spent some time in our wine store while on the run from the authorities. More details
If you’re looking for a truly English experience and a chance to meet and get to know some locals – try The Coach House.
by Harley Nott
A must read before you book your spring or summer holiday.
Ten reasons to come to London this summer, with Coach House Rentals.
1. Exchange rate. The British Pound is at its lowest rate ever against the US dollar (£/$ 1.23), and many other currencies, but you can be sure that this won’t last for ever.
2. Why use Coach House Rentals? Because we’ve been looking after our guests since 2001. We have many thousands of satisfied customers – read the testimonials with each property listing. Many have agreed to act as a reference – you just have to ask and we’ll put you in touch.
3. Excellent value for money. We haven’t increased our prices for 4 years, so our London vacation rentals are great value for money, especially for a party of 3 or more.
4. “Live like a local” in a hand-picked real home. You get a whole apartment or house to yourself (no sharing) and much more space and freedom to do what you want than in a cramped hotel room.
5. Flexible renting. Any day to any day with a minimum stay of 5, not 7, nights.
6. Real people to help you choose. You don’t need to rely just on a web listing. If you can’t find the answer to your question on our faqs, we are here to respond to your emailed queries or you can talk to us on the phone (+44 20 8355 3192).
7. Safe and secure booking process. When you enter your card details on our secure https payments page, the information goes directly to our in-house servers before being manually processed. There is no risk of being scammed – as does sometimes happen when using the mass market listing sites.
8. Concierge service. We can arrange a car to meet you at the airport. When you arrive at your rental all will be ready for you, we’ll be there to check you in, hand over the keys, show you how everything works and answer any questions you may have.
9. We have a 24/7 help line in case of any further questions or the unlikely event of any problems.
The spring and summer is booking up fast so book now to get the vacation rental of your choice. Join the many 1,000’s of satisfied guests we’ve looked after since 2001.